The following post is from Joshua of Becoming Minimalist:
Motivation, we all need it. No matter the project, discipline, or task, motivation is a necessary ingredient. And it is especially necessary in the never-ending, always-repeating monotony of keeping our homes clean, organized, and in order.
Sometimes, we are able to find the motivation within ourselves: love for family, relatives coming to stay, a friendly get-together in your living room, or a New Year’s Resolution. But other days, it may be necessary to look elsewhere for motivation…outside ourselves. For those days, when the motivation to get things done around the house is waning, consider some of these 10 Inspiring Quotes to Help Get the Housework Done.
- “I am thankful for a lawn that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home…. I am thankful for the piles of laundry and ironing because it means my loved ones are nearby.” – Nancie J. Carmody. There is housework to do because there is family to love.
- “Happiness does not consist in pastimes and amusements but in virtuous activities.” – Aristotle. True happiness is found in conducting our daily activities with virtue, character, and morality… not in looking elsewhere.
- “The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service of others.” - Ghandi. And if housework isn’t the definition of ‘service to others,’ I don’t know what is.
- “Your children will become what you are; so be what you want them to be.” – David Bly. We all desire our children to be hard-working, persistent, and disciplined. And we have a chance to model that for them everyday.
- “The unselfish effort to bring cheer to others will be the beginning of a happier life for ourselves.” – Helen Keller. Remember, a nice meal, a clean home, or a soft place to lay your head brings cheer to others. And providing cheer for others results in a happier life for you.
- “The best time for planning a book is while you’re doing the dishes.” – Agatha Christie. Clearly, one of the most accomplished writers of our time did the dishes. But more than that, she found opportunity in the task. Find opportunity in your tasks today.
- “The key to success is to do the next right thing right.” – Coach Don Meyer. Coach Meyer became the winning-est men’s basketball coach in the NCAA with one simple strategy that he stressed on the basketball court and in life… just do the next right right. The motto carries well into the home as well.
- “Happiness is where we find it, but rarely where we seek it.” – J. Petit Senn. Happiness can surely be found in the monotony of our everyday lives, but not if we keep looking for it elsewhere.
- “What comes from the heart, goes to the heart.” – Samuel Taylor Coleridge. Your love for family and your service to others will be noticed. It may not be conveyed each day… it may not even be noticed immediately… but done from the heart, it will get noticed and appreciated. Actions done from the heart always do.
- “You can’t do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth.” – Shira Tehrani. You can enhance your life today by taking care of it and the things around you. You can also enhance the life of others by doing the same. And that just may be motivation enough.
QUESTION: What inspiring thoughts help you find motivation to get the housework done?
|Joshua Becker inspires and encourages others to live with less on his blog, Becoming Minimalist. He has also authored two e-books, Simplify and Inside-Out Simplicity. But more importantly, he loves his wife and two small children.|