There are entire stores dedicated to baby gear, which makes these tiny creatures seem like complicated and expensive members of the family! The truth, though, is that babies need just a fraction of what is available.
That’s not to say that things like Boppy pillows and baby swings aren’t nice additions, because they are! We had those, plus a separate cradle for those early weeks, an exercauser for older babies and a variety of slings.
With that said, here’s my list of what you need, what’s nice to have and what (in my opinion) is just silly:
- a car seat: I prefer to start my babies out in a convertible car seat rather than a separate infant carrier
- a place for baby to sleep: crib, pack ‘n play, cosleeper, your bed
- stroller: a simple umbrella stroller works great for older babies
- baby monitor: we sleep with a fan, so this has always been a necessity for us
- a sling, wrap or carrier
Nice to Have
- changing table/pad: we change our babies on the couch or the floor
- bouncy seat: some babies like ’em, some not so much
- swing: a swing saved our sanity with a couple of our daughters, but it’s definitely not a necessity
- infant car seat: as I mentioned, we start out with a convertible car seat that will last for years
- wipes warmer: just hold the wipe in your hand for a few seconds and you’re good to go
- a quilt to match your nursery bedding set
- diaper genie: wrap the diapers in a plastic bag instead, or switch to cloth
- baby tub: nice for that middle stage when baby can’t sit up yet, but they’re so big and bulky
Trading Cradles makes the necessities and luxuries more affordable by connecting sellers of gently used items with potential buyers. This free service lets you browse items in a variety of categories, protecting your contact information as you communicate with various sellers. With the dedicated parental team, you can rest assured that all listings are family friendly, and the short ads make it easier to quickly scan ads.
To browse ads:
1. Visit TradingCradles.com and choose your location.
2. Click Start Shopping on the menu.
3. Browse the latest listings or select a category from the dropdown menu.
4. Click the Contact Seller link for additional details or to arrange a purchase.
And at the Trading Cradles parenting blog, you’ll find everything from inspirational videos to crafts & activities for the whole family.
What else is on your needs, nice to have and just silly lists? Do you disagree with any of mine?