Buying new furniture for you entire home is obviously not feasible for most people, especially in today’s economic environment. However, there are a few things to keep in mind if you are looking for new furniture as you redecorate and declutter your home.
1. Think about functionality before you fall in love with a specific style or design.
- Do you need storage space or display area?
- Do you need to be able to quickly access the storage, or will it be used for longer term storage?
- Do you have an idea of what specifically you want to store in it that might make a difference in the size or shape of the unit?
- Do you need childproof doors that can’t be opened by the little ones in your home?
- What else do you need to make this piece function for your family’s needs?
2. If you or your spouse is handy or a craftsman, consider whether building a custom piece might be an option. My husband has a special knack for coming up with creative and modern ideas that incorporate the functionality I want with the style he prefers, and an added benefit is that the pieces are generally less expensive than purchasing furniture as well (I’ll show you some of the furniture he’s built in my vlog this weekend!).
3. Think about your style and have a basic idea of what you’d like the furniture to look like before you start looking for that perfect piece.
- Is your home country or modern? Classic or contemporary?
- Would an antique piece fit in well with your style?
- Do you need a specific color wood, or can you perhaps purchase something at a thrift store or garage sale and paint it?
4. Begin shopping around! Remember, the key to maximizing your space is to balance form and functionality. Although it might take you longer to find exactly what you’re looking for, chances are that you’ll be happier in the long run if you take your time.