The following post is from Kristina of Toddler Approved:
This fabric scrap candy cane banner is a fun way to make your house more festive and get your kids involved with decorating!
- red and white felt
- fabric scissors
- a candy cane template (we used this one from Squidoo and printed 4 per page)
- fabric scraps
- tacky craft glue
- thin ribbon
- other embellishments (buttons, sequins, etc.)
- Cut out felt candy canes using your candy cane template. We cut out 6 white and 6 red felt candy canes.
- Give kids some fabric scissors and have them snip fabric scraps into thin little pieces.
- Have them put tacky glue stripes on the candy canes.
- Add the fabric scrap strips or other embellishments onto the glue stripes.
- Trim the edges of the scraps once the glue has dried.
- Make two little snips in the top of the felt candy canes so that you can thread some thin ribbon through each candy cane. This may be too hard for kids, so adult help may be needed.
- Find a spot in your house to hang your candy cane banner!
In addition to using this banner as a decoration, we plan to use it as we do 12 Days of Christmas Kindness to family/friends/strangers that could use a little extra Christmas cheer! 12 Days before Christmas we will start doing little acts of kindness for others as a family. Each day that we do something, we will add a candy cane to our banner. By the time Christmas arrives, our candy cane banner will be full! I can’t wait to share this sweet new tradition with my family! I think it will be a great way to look outward and help others.What other family traditions do you have? Do you plan to start any new ones this year?
Join us as we celebrate 101 Days of Christmas with new DIY projects, gift ideas, traditions and more every day from now through Christmas!
|Kristina Buskirk is a mom of 3 and a former Special Ed teacher for children with communication disabilities. She blogs at Toddler Approved as she looks for ways to make life a little more fun and creative with her kids while embedding learning into everything that she does.|