I am a relatively recent Firefox convert, and I’m embarrassed to admit that I still used Internet Explorer until about a year ago. Since I’ve made the switch, though, there is really no going back.
Recently I tried Google Chrome after reading rave reviews from some of you as well as the Lifehacker community, but in the end there were too many things that I liked better about Firefox, including some of my favorite add-ons that weren’t available on Chrome.
If you’re not familiar with Firefox, it is a free internet browser that comes with unprecedented flexibility and a huge collection of optional add-ons (created by developers and users) to make it even better.
I just recently purchased a new laptop and reloaded all of my favorites (along with a few new ones), so I thought it’d be a good time to share them with you:
- Better Gmail 2 — Add useful extra features to Gmail, like hierarchical labels, an unread message icon on your browser tab, file attachment icons, and more.
- Better GReader — Add useful extra features to Google Reader, like feed favicons, inline article previews, and unread counts in your browser tab with Better GReader.
- Firefox Sync — Free browser add-on that lets you stay in sync with your Firefox. Access your history, passwords, bookmarks and even open tabs across all your devices.
- LastPass — LastPass is a free online password manager and Form Filler that makes your web browsing easier and more secure.
- SwagBucks Toolbar — If you use SwagBucks to earn free bucks while you search, be sure to download the toolbar for even more ways to earn!
For Web Development
- ColorZilla — With ColorZilla you can get a color reading from any point in your browser, quickly adjust this color and paste it into another program.
- IE Tab 2 — Use IE to display web pages in a tab within FireFox.
- MeasureIt — Draw a ruler across any webpage to check the width, height, or alignment of page elements in pixels.
- Screengrab — Capture webpages as images — the entire page, just a selection, a particular frame — either to a file or to the clipboard.
- WiseStamp — Empower your email signatures in Gmail, Google Apps, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail or AOL.
- SearchStatus — Display the Google PageRank, Alexa rank, Compete ranking and SEOmoz Linkscape mozRank anywhere in your browser, along with fast keyword density analyser, keyword/nofollow highlighting, backward/related links, Alexa info and more.
Do you use Firefox? What is your favorite add-on?