This giveaway is now closed! The winner is Jen ([email protected]…)!
I’ve mentioned before that our family is fairly obsessed with the sciences, and our shelves overflow with books about biology, chemistry, physics, etc.
However, when it comes to actually studying science, we’ve never found a curriculum that was a great fit for us. The experiments we’ve done always feel disjointed and a little pointless in the grand scheme of things.
Late last year, I discovered Groovy Lab in a Box, and I was immediately intrigued by this monthly subscription.
Groovy Lab in a Box isn’t just science. Drawing from the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), each box contains a STEM project using the Engineering Design Process. If you’re not familiar with STEM, it’s an area of study that combines science, technology, engineering and mathematics since those disciplines are all closely intertwined as it is. In addition, the Engineering Design Process holds students to a variety of standards as they work on their project, giving them the opportunity to engage their imaginations and apply critical thinking.
I had the opportunity to speak with Elaine, one of the co-founders, and she is truly passionate about educating, engaging and equipping children as STEMists. She was also kind enough to send us the It’s Electric box, which my girls have loved working through — learning about static electricity and circuits and learning what they need to know to design and build their own working dance pad.
It took us a couple months to really dive in — between the holidays, a new baby, the site transfer, etc. — but there is so much I love about these boxes:
- It’s not just a “sit down and complete it in one session” project but really one that can be drawn out over a week or even a whole month.
- The website includes a ton of extra resources and activities for each theme in the Beyond a Box section.
- The projects are engaging, and while our oldest two are the ones actually working on the STEM projects, the little ones gather around whenever we get started.
- With a new box on its way each month, I feel confident that we’ll cover a wide range of topics in a year. (Yep, I subscribed when we were halfway through our first box because we’re all enjoying it so much!)
- Each box comes with everything you need, including a fun lab notebook with clear explanations, directions and thought-provoking questions plus all of the supplies for each activity so that I don’t have to go hunting for supplies!
Elaine also mentioned the other day that they’re working on a K-2nd grade version of the boxes, which I can’t wait to see!
Here’s a peek inside our experience with the It’s Electric box, including our working dance pad that the girls designed and built (with just a little bit of help from us!):
Enter to Win
This week, Groovy Lab in a Box is giving one lucky Life Your Way reader a 3-month subscription!
To enter, fill out the form below:
The giveaway ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, 4/25. The winner will be selected randomly and notified by email, and this post will be updated with their name as well. Unfortunately, due to the international laws governing sweepstakes and lotteries, we’re only able to offer these giveaways to U.S. residents 18 years and older.