While I try not to be overly fearful as a parent, the internet is a scary place for kids, where a wrong keystroke can take kids from the educational site they’re trying to access to pornography that will affect them forever.
As parents, our rule is that the computer is kept in our main living area so that our kids know that someone could walk by at any minute, just to eliminate the temptation of sneaking around on the ‘net. However, even YouTube or Google can be a scary place, and it’s not hard to stumble upon inappropriate content when doing innocent searches.
In fact, did you know…
- Most kids are first exposed to porn at less than 11 years of age?
- An unsolicited image is the beginning of a long battle with porn addiction?
- 1 in 5 children ages 10-17 have been approached for sex online?
- 57% of kids have accidentally accessed inappropriate material online?
- 75% of these young people do not tell their parents about these incidents?
- The porn industry is now the 7th largest industry in the U.S.?
- Unprotected Internet access can lead to identity theft, cyberbullying, and social network dangers?
The folks at Net Nanny know that most kids aren’t seeking out this inappropriate material, and their goal is to protect kids from cyber bullying, predators, unwanted charges, and more through comprehensive tools for every device in your home:
- Net Nanny for Windows and Mac ($39.99/year)
- Net Nanny for Android ($12.99/year)
- Net Nanny for iOS (iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch ($4.99/year)
- Net Nanny Social (Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn —whether accessed on from a smartphone, PC, or tablet; $19.99/year)
- Net Nanny 3.0 for Mac ($39.99/year)
To protect kids, Net Nanny uses proprietary technology that includes:
- Dynamic content filtering: Offensive material is removed according to your settings
- Parental controls: Set access by specific keywords, games, and websites according to each user
- Email alerts: Have emails sent to you when your child visits inappropriate sites
- Social media monitoring: You can monitor your child’s posts and chats on Facebook
Enter to Win
This week, Net Nanny is giving TWO lucky Life Your Way readers each a 1-year membership for the computer of their choice (PC or Mac)!
To enter, fill out the form below:
The giveaway ends at 11:59 p.m. ET on Friday, 8/1. The winner will be selected randomly and notified by email, and this post will be updated with their name as well. Unfortunately, due to the international laws governing sweepstakes and lotteries, we’re only able to offer these giveaways to U.S. residents 18 years and older.