No matter what your home office setup looks like – whether you have a dedicated office or just a file cabinet for your important papers – having a system in place to organize papers and office supplies can not only declutter the area visually but also simplify your life by making things easier to find when needed. This week we’re going to be talking about organizing our home offices. But first (you guessed it!), let’s start by asking ourselves some questions:
Location, Location, Location
- Do you have a dedicated home office? Or do you just use a file cabinet for your papers and a drawer in your kitchen for your office supplies? Or maybe something in between?
- Do you have a desk? Or do you use your laptop somewhere else, like at the counter, table or on your couch?
- Do you share your home office and/or desk with someone else? Or is your home office your area alone?
What’s the Use?
- Do you work for home as a telecommuting employee or run your own business? Or is your home office simply for taking care of your family finances and organizing your home life?
- Do you have a lot of paperwork to file? Or do you simply need a quiet place to work and store a few important papers?
- Do you have a lot of office equipment and supplies to maintain? Or can you get by with just a laptop and your printer?
Timing is Everything!
- How often do you use your home office?
- How much time do you spend in your office?
- Are you in your home office at a consistent time of day, either during the morning or in the evening, where specific lighting is something you should consider?
Think through the questions above and jot your answers down or keep them in mind as we look at different ways to declutter and simplify your home office!