When you’re shopping for furniture for your new baby, you’ll be looking at a lot of cribs. While matching your decor is important, you need to find a crib that is not only attractive, but you need a safe baby crib. You should also make sure to choose a crib that perfectly fits the ideal mattress so that you can create a safe sleep environment for the newest member of your family. Every parent understands the necessity of nap times to soothe cranky babies to get that much-needed break. A quality mattress is crucial for the safety and comfort of the baby and the sanity of the parents because a comfortable mattress means easier nap times and longer rests for the entire family.
Here at LifeYourWay.net we know that finding the right products or service for your family can be daunting and time consuming at best. It is important for you to get the most value out of everything you get and still insuring the highest level of safety for your loved ones. That is why I put together this baby mattress buyers guide. I want to help you make an informed decision quickly and get back to spending real time with your family.
Hopefully before you have even gotten to this point you have already considered the best crib and either have it already put together, or at least on the way and know the dimensions of the mattress section.
The Naturepedic No Compromise Crib Mattress is an organic crib mattress created with cotton and offers dual firmness for growing child development. With seamless edges, this mattress allows for easy clean up. It is waterproofed through patented food-grade polyethylene derived from non-GMO plants and has reinforced edges and square corners for a snug fit in all standard sized cribs. Made with 150 coils for support and firmness for infants and a softer side for toddlers, the allergy-friendly design of the Naturepedic crib mattress is made without polyurethane foam, harmful chemicals, latex, soy, GMOs, formaldehyde, and flame retardants.
With a built-in dust mite and bed bug barrier, there’s no need for additional protection. The mattress can be easily wiped clean and waterproof seams prevent moisture penetration.
Made in the USA, this product offers a lifetime limited warranty and is certified organic.
- 100% organic cotton fabric and filling
- Allergy-friendly design made without harmful chemicals
- Made in the USA
- lifetime limited warranty
- Certified to the organic and non-toxic Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS).
- Meets or exceeds GREENGUARD Gold emissions standard and UL/GREENGUARD Formaldehyde Free Standard
- Wipe clean waterproof surface so pure it meets food contact standards.
2. Milliard Crib Mattress, Dual Comfort System
This crib mattress stands out from the crowd with its dual comfort system. With a firm side for babies and soft side for toddlers, this can be a mattress you use for years to come. Made with memory foam, the Milliard Crib Mattress cradles newborns while controlling posture comfortably. With a waterproof cotton cover, it is machine washable and breathable for optimal sleep. This crib mattress is made from CertiPUR-US certified polyurethane foam with an anti-slip layer for safety. It will fit all standard crib sizes.
- Double Sided Mattress featuring a firmer side for infants, and a softer side for toddlers.
- A supportive foam layer will cradle your newborn safely, and the contouring memory foam layer will support proper posture in your toddler’s back and neck.
- Features a 100% cotton cover that is waterproof and washable, for ultimate breathability and convenience.
- Fits standard size cribs and toddler beds.
- Meets or exceeds all US safety certifications and regulations
- 100% foam filled
- Difficult to get back in origianl packaging, so returns are difficult.
3. Dream On Me 2-in-1 Breathable Slumber
This breathable spring crib mattress has breathe-flow technology to improve sleep and comfort. The 88 coil springs are durable, interwoven, and heat tempered to increase comfort while being hypoallergenic. There is a certiPUR-US certified layer covered with breath-flow material to promote air flow and a waterproof cover on the toddler size with lock stick steams. Made in the USA, this mattress meets the Federal Flammability Standard and is tested for phthalate and lead. It is also GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy sleeping environment and improved air quality.
- Lowest price on our list
- Promotes airflow
- All DOM mattresses are GREENGUARD Gold Certified for a healthy indoor environment for your baby
- 30 Day Warranty
- Reinforced- waterproof cover and binding resist liquids and stains
- 30 Day Warranty
- Not the best quality, but for the price, it is actually great.
4. Sealy Perfect Rest Toddler & Baby Crib Mattress
The Sealy Perfect Rest Toddler and Baby crib mattress, from the award-winning brand, is made with 150 extra firm heat-tempered interlocking steel coils for long-lasting support and provides maximum support around the sides of the mattress for a secure edge and added safety. The lock-stitched waterproof binding blocks stains, odors, and moisture while hypoallergenic layers provide healthy comfort and support. The best part about this mattress? The entire mattress wipes clean with a damp cloth.
This crib mattress has passed the American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Crib Mattress Standards and is GREENGUARD Gold Certified for indoor air quality and tested for harmful chemicals to provide your baby with a healthy sleeping environment. It also meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing and does not contain toxic fire retardants.
This USA-made product also offers a 10 year warranty and fits snugly into standard cribs.
- 150 Coil count
- Waterproof surface
- Safety and quality tested — passes American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) Crib Mattress Standards, this entire crib mattress is GREENGUARD Gold certified for indoor air quality and tested for chemicals to help create a healthier sleeping environment for your baby.
- Lifetime warranty on workmanship and materials
- Some reports of mattress indentions after a short period.
5. LULLABY EARTH Breeze 2-Stage Crib Mattress
This 2-stage crib mattress was created with breathable mesh to allow babies who may roll to a face-down sleeping position with a breathe-through surface for safety. With a 3-dimensional fabric, there is 360 degree air circulation under the baby and third-party lab testing has been done to ensure that babies can breathe face-down on the mattress.
It has a built in protector pad that can be removed and washed with waterproof backing to protect the mattress from liquids and odors. The mattress core itself is also waterproof and can easily be used alone while the cover is in the wash.
Made in the USA, the Lullaby Earth Breeze mattress comes with a lifetime limited warranty and is GREENGUARD certified to meet emissions standards and Formaldehyde-free standards. Passing all flammability standards, Lullaby Earth uses no flame retardants, chemicals, or polyurethane foam.
The benefits don’t stop there. Fitting all standard cribs, Lullaby earth uses patented WaveSupport to conform to Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and pediatrician firmness recommendations for posture-perfect and safe sleep.
- Breathable surface
- Waterproof cover
- Waterproof core
- Meets flammability requirements without the chemicals!
- Meets or exceeds GREENGUARD Gold emissions standards and UL/GREENGUARD Formaldehyde Free standards.
- Lifetime limited warranty
- High price
- Low availability
6. Safety 1st Transitions Baby and Toddler Mattress
Similar to the Milliard Crib Mattress, this crib mattress offers 2 different firmness levels for ideal support of babies on one side and toddlers on the other so that you don’t have to purchase a new mattress for your growing child. The Safety 1st Transitions crib mattress is lightweight and durable for long-lasting use throughout child development and is GREENGUARD Gold certified. Made with 100% Polyester Fiber, it meets federal flammability standards without using toxic chemicals and will fit all standard cribs and toddler beds.
- Safety 1st has received the 2019 Women’s Choice Award as an America’s Most Recommended brand for Crib & Toddler Mattress
- Made with a high-density thermo-bonded core made from polyester fibers
- Dual-purpose mattress comes with 2 different firmness levels to grow with your child: extra firm support for infants, and additional cushioning for toddlers
- Lightweight and durable. Outer non-removable cover is water resistant and wipes clean
- Longer than most mattresses by 1″. This can make it difficult to fit in some cribs or not possible at all.
7. Colgate Eco Classica III
This standard sized orthopedic six inch thick mattress is lightweight and offers dual firmness. Made with foam, there are no springs within the mattress for added comfort that contours to the baby’s body to help them sleep deeply. GREENGUARD Children and Schools Certified, this mattress passes all standards for indoor air quality and more than 10,000 volatile organic compounds. The eco-friendlier foam it is made with is created with sustainable plant oils and fits snuggly in most cribs for comfort and safety.
- Standard size mattress
- GREENGUARD Children & Schools Certified.
- Dual firmness offers very firm support for infants and greater comfort for toddlers
- Hypoallergenic and phthalate free; 6” thick, eco-friendlier foam made using sustainable plant oils
- High Price compared to many other mattresses on this list
- Reports of bad stitching quality on the seems.
8. Babyletto Pure Core Non-Toxic Crib Mattress with Hybrid Waterproof Cover
This non-toxic crib mattress is made with a lightweight, fully recyclable polyester core. The square corners and inverted seams make for a seamless sheet fit for added safety. The multifunctional cover with a soft quilted cotton face and vinyl-free waterproof backing protect mattresses against liquids, spills, and odors while the dual-sided mattress is firm to support infants and softer for toddlers. The machine washable cover is removable and has a zipper for easy and safe changes. The Babyletto Pure Core is hypoallergenic and uses no chemical flame retardants and is free of polyurethane foam.
- Non-toxic mattress made with lightweight, fully recyclable polyester core;
- Multifunctional cover with a soft quilted cotton face and vinyl-free waterproof backing to protect mattress against accidents
- Dual-sided: firm support for infants, cushier comfort for toddlers; removable, machine washable cover with zipper for easy changes
- Hypoallergenic: dust mite and allergen resistant and no chemical flame retardants
- Highest price on the list
- Quality does not appear to reflect the price premium
9. Serta Tranquility Eco Firm Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress
The Eco Firm innerspring crib mattress from Serta uses 120 heavy duty coils with a full perimeter border wire ortho-insulated layer for added comfort and support. With a waterproof vinyl cover, this mattress can resist moisture, stains, and odors. It is GREENGUARD Gold certified and made with CertiPur-US approved foams for added comfort with no flame redrafts or dangerous chemicals. For a secure fit, this mattress is finished with square corners and is hypoallergenic for a healthy sleep. The Serta Tranquility Eco Firm mattress is easy to clean, wipes down easily for hassle-free maintenance and also offers dual sides for two-stage sleep to accommodate child development from infant to toddler.
- 120 heavy duty innerspring coils
- Waterproof vinyl cover resists moisture and stains
- GREENGUARD Gold certified
- Made with CertiPUR-US approved foams
- Meets or exceeds flammability, lead, phthalate and CPSIA testing.
- Lower spring count than other spring mattresses on this list
- On the higher side of pricing for this list
10. Delta Children Twinkle Stars Deluxe Innerspring Crib and Toddler Mattress
The crib mattress from Delta Children is a high-quality baby mattress that is lightweight and non-toxic. Made with a firm thermo-bonded polyester fiber core, the square corners provide a secure fit for ultimate safety and comfort. GREENGUARD Gold Certified, this mattress has a waterproof vinyl cover to block stains and moisture for easier cleanup and prevent mold and mildew growth. Made in the USA, it is lightweight, easy to change, and will fit most standard cribs. Delta Children also offers a limited 7 year warranty on the product to provide parents with peace of mind.
- Attractive Price Point
- Leak Proof
- At The Core: 162 interlocking coils create a firm foundation
- Balanced Support: Border wires provide support all around the mattress
- Double Duty: 2-sided design offers ideal comfort for each stage; Infant side is the ideal firmness for newborns; Toddler side features an additional layer of foam for comfort
- Could use a little more padding on the springs
- A little noisy when the baby moves around.
You might be looking at a mattress for your precious first born child or your 10th. You may even be looking for a good friend or your kid is having a baby. Ultimately it does not matter what the reason is, but the considerations should always be the same. Below are what you should be checking out when looking at a mattress for any baby.
There are many aspects that go into determining what constitutes a safe baby mattress , like whether or not they use harmful chemicals, flame retardants, and other materials. You also need to consider size when thinking about safety. The goal is to have a crib mattress fit very snuggly into the crib so there is very little space in-between the mattress and the crib to prevent dangers such as entrapment and suffocation.
You’ll also be seeing certifications on most crib mattresses. These certifications are important. A GREENGUARD Gold Certification recognizes products with low chemical emissions, contributing to improved indoor air quality and a safe sleeping space for your child. A CertiPUR-US certifications means that the foams used within the mattress are made without PBDE flame retardants, mercury, lead, and other dangerous chemicals.
Another safety aspect has to do with a certain type of foam. Polyurethane foams have been found to be highly reactive compounds that, in their raw forms, can cause respiratory and skin damage while also being carcinogenic to humans. Many of the foam mattresses we use and those we have our infants use are polyurethane, but with a CertiPUR-US certification, they have been tested and proven to be safe for use.
I have put together a full guide on what to look for when choosing a.
Quality can mean many different things, but when you’re deciding which baby crib mattress to purchase, quality means something that is long-lasting and durable. Because babies are known for their ability to create messes with little movement, you’ll need to find a mattress that protects against accidents, liquids, and odor. When liquid seeps into the mattress, you run the risk of mold and mildew growing within the mattress and affecting your infant’s health without even knowing, so it’s important to find water-proof covers and mattresses that prevent this from occurring.
You may think that the function of a baby crib mattress is simple; it’s a mattress for a crib. While that is correct, you should also consider dual-sided crib mattresses that have one side firm for babies and infants and the other softer and more plush for toddlers. This will save you money in the long run when you don’t have to buy a second mattress as your child develops and grows.
Now that you know a little bit about the more complicated aspects of shopping for a baby crib mattress that fits your needs and the needs of your child, let’s take a look at the top 10 baby mattresses: