The following post is from Shaina of Food for My Family and Olmanson Photography: A Picnic Lunch: Lemony Chicken Salad Wraps
The summer picnic. The usual suspects show up, generally a potato salad, hot dogs, a watermelon, and a variety of other salads and, if you live in the Midwest, bars. This can get old once you hit the 4th of July, though. You’ve had weekend picnics since Memorial Day, and it’s time to switch it up to make these picnics sing.
My mom brings these chicken salad lettuce wraps for camping picnics, potlucks, backyard parties, and barbecue dinners alike.
You can mix all the chicken salad ingredients together, topping them with the vinaigrette just before serving on a wrap. Fresh and light, it’s a welcome change from the hot dog days of summer.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, pulled from the bone and chopped
- ½ medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces capers, drained
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heads of Boston lettuce, washed
- Mix together chicken, red onion, red pepper, almonds, and capers. Set aside.
- Mix red wine vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk until combined. Slowly drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil while whisking to emulsify.
- To serve, toss the chicken salad with the dressing. Place scoops of salad inside a lettuce leaf. Wrap and eat. Alternatively, you can chop the lettuce and serve the salad on top of the chopped leaves.
What are some of your favorite picnic foods?
|Shaina Olmanson is the freelance writer, photographer, and home cook behind Food for My Family. Cooking daily with and for her four kids and husband, Ole, drives her desire to inspire other families to do the same. Shaina is also the author of Desserts in Jars and regularly contributes to various online sites and traditional print magazines.|