Almost everyone who uses or downloads documents from the internet has come across PDF (Portable Document Format) documents. The inventors of PDF had in mind a file format that was sharable and readable regardless of the software used to view the file.
Unfortunately, it didn’t become very user-friendly, especially when you need to edit a PDF file. But that doesn’t mean it is not editable at all. There are several applications for editing or converting PDF resources you could get from the internet. This post highlights the best options and how to use them.
Table of Contents
Converting a PDF File to an Editable Word Document
One of the most convenient options for editing PDFs for family use is first converting PDF files into editable word documents. But you can only do this if you have a tool that converts PDF into word formats.
A simple Google search on converting a PDF file into an editable word file will give you countless results. Unfortunately, it can be overwhelming to pick one from the available options. That’s because PDF converters come in many forms, including offline and online options as well as free and paid versions.
Whatever option you go for, you want to ensure that the tool does what it claims to do. If you are unsure what to pick, this free PDF to Word converter by PDF Simpli can be an excellent place to start.
Commonly Used Tools
PDF Simpli is a simple-to-use online-based PDF converter that is arguably one of the best you will get on the internet.
The good thing about this tool is that:
- It is free
- It is super easy to use
- It keeps PDF formatting intact
- You can add your electronic signature for free
How to edit a PDF document using PDF Simpli
- Click on add files/upload
- Apply desired edits
- Convert your file to the desired format
- Download, share, or print
With PDF Simpli, you can convert PDF to Word, JPG, PNG, and TIIF. Other functionalities include converting excel and PowerPoint to PDF, splitting, compressing, and merging PDFs.
PDF was created by Adobe Inc in the 90s and remained a proprietary format until 2008, meaning the company was the first to create a PDF reader and converter. However, being the oldest doesn’t mean it is the best.
The biggest disadvantage of Adobe Acrobat is it is not free. You have to purchase a standard or pro version to use it. If you want to edit a few documents for family use, paying for a subscription may not be the wisest idea.
How to edit a document with adobe acrobat
- Open the application
- On the navigation bar, select File, then open
- In the document window, select the downloaded file you want to edit
- Place the cursor on the text you intend to edit, and you will be good to go
The good thing about Adobe Acrobat is that there is a version for almost all operating systems; Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS.
Using Microsoft Word
If you have installed Microsoft Word 2013 or later on your computer, you are in luck. You may not need to have extra software to edit your documents. However, this option has limitations.
For example, if your document has tables and charts, some information may be lost in the conversion because Microsoft Word is not designed for PDF files.
Therefore, if your document has many tables and charts, you will be better off with other alternatives.
How to edit a PDF document using Microsoft Word
- Open Microsoft word.
- Click on the file icon on the top left corner of the navigation bar.
- Click open.
- A document window will show where you select the file you wish to edit.
- You will get a message asking you if you want to convert your document into an editable PDF document. Click okay. Clicking okay doesn’t change the format of your document. It only makes the document editable.
- Make the changes you want and save your document as a PDF once you are done with the changes. Alternatively, you can choose to save your document in word format.
Like Microsoft Word, Google Docs is primarily a text-based application that you can use to edit your PDF files. Unlike Microsoft Word, Google Docs is online-based.
The main drawback when using Google Docs is that some PDF files cannot open in Google Docs. Secondly, some functions such as adding or deleting pages are not present in this option.
Also, the final document does not maintain the original document’s format.
Editing PDF using Google docs
- Assuming you already have a Google account, open your Google Drive and click on new.
- Select file upload.
- A document window will appear from where you will select the file you want to convert the click open. After the upload is complete, click recent and go to the file you have just uploaded.
- Right-click on the document and choose the open with Google Docs option.
- Google Docs will create a new editable document where you make all the changes you want. If you want to collaborate, you can share a link with permission based on the level of access you want the other person to have.
The options mentioned above are the most commonly used for editing PDF files. While several factors can determine your choice, the most important of all would be the efficiency and the costs involved.
The best option should yield a final document that conforms as closely as possible to the original document and at the lowest price.
Featured Image by Mohamed Hassan on Pixabay