Over the years, I’ve tried several different breakfast casseroles for our Christmas morning, breakfast, but we never really found a recipe that we loved.
Then I made this recipe for a baby shower brunch in November, and I knew it was the one. We’ve made it with sausage or bacon, for special occasions and just because — and I love the leftovers as much as the fresh casserole, which means none of it goes to waste!
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage or bacon
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook bacon or sausage and drain well.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in milk, salt and mustard. Add bread cubes, cheese and breakfast meat.
- Pour in a 9"x13" baking dish and cover.
- Refrigerate overnight. In the morning, pull the casserole out of the refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
Click here to add this recipe to your Plan to Eat account.
What’s your favorite overnight breakfast recipe?