This month we’re spring cleaning the easy way with our Spring Cleaning Made Easy series! The goal is to get the whole house clean — one mini task at a time — without having to set aside a whole week, or even a whole day, to clean.
The hardest part about coordinating this series for me was knowing that spring cleaning really isn’t a one-size-fits-all kinda thing. Some homes have bonus rooms, game rooms or rec rooms while others have formal dining and living rooms or multiple guest rooms. My goal was to cover the basics through the series while leaving a few days at the end for any of those tasks we didn’t cover.
Whether you have an extra room (or three!) to tackle, a special collection of Longaberger baskets or a shed that’s overflowing, the next three days are for you. Choose one room or task at a time and follow the same basic plan we’ve used in the other rooms:
First, declutter and organize any collections or clutter, including that which is hidden in drawers or closets.
Then, start at the top and clean your way down:
- Grab a duster or vacuum cleaner and clean off the fan blades.
- Using your duster or vacuum, clean the corners between your walls and ceilings.
- Dust window frames and clean blinds. Hang your curtains outside or tumble them in the dryer to get rid of any dust in them.
- Next, wash the windows and any mirrors.
- Dust any shelves and knick knacks as well as picture frames.
- Clean under the couch cushions.
- Pull the couch out from the wall and clean under/behind the couches.
- Clean the baseboards and behind other any furniture.
- Finally, vacuum and steam clean or sweep and mop.
For outdoor projects, your focus will probably be more on the decluttering and organizing than cleaning (although I promise not to judge you if you steam clean your garage floors!). Now would be a good time to clean out the garage or shed, pull weeds in the garden, organize the outdoor toys or powerwash the deck!
Be sure to print the Spring Cleaning Made Easy checklist to keep on hand for your next spring cleaning month. Click here to download or print your copy!
What tasks will you choose to finish off the series?