Over the past year, Katie has talked a lot here on Green Your Way about how she inspires her kids to live green. Here are some of my favorites:
- How to Raise a Child “Green” with the Power of Words
- See My First Grader Save the Earth…from Juice Pouches!
- Our Earth Day Litter Tradition (and a Challenge for You)
In my opinion, inspiring our kids to live “green” is probably one of the most important things we can do for the environment and for the generations to come.
I’m not saying it’s not important to reduce, reuse and recycle or to avoid harmful chemicals — among other things, but I almost think it’s more important to do that as a way to inspire the next generation than for the actual results we’ll see in our lifetimes.
That’s what will create a truly sustainable lifestyle — when we teach and inspire our kids to live sustainably as well, so that they can then pass those same habits and values on to their kids.
How do we do this in our home? Maybe not as intentionally as we could be, but here are a few examples:
- Through recycling and composting. Recycling isn’t easy for us since we have to actually drive out of our way to drop off our recycling, but it’s something we’re committed to doing. And I’m still learning my way around composting, but for now the girls know I’m trying and that we try to avoid putting food waste in the trash if it can be composted instead.
- By stopping to smell the roses, stand in awe of the sunset and marvel at the creatures — big and small — that inhabit the earth. I want my girls to love Creation (and really, my husbands appreciation for the beauty of the earth is one of the things I love about him), and we spend a lot of time just taking it all in.
- Through talking about why we make the decisions we make when it comes to cleaning & personal care products, repurposing items, not buying others, etc.
However, I’ve been inspired by Katie to do this more actively — to look for ways to make a difference together, not just in our home but in our community as a whole.
Seventh Generation and Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax have joined forces to inspire families to save the earth’s resources with conscious consumption.
Created with our little ones and the environment in mind, Seventh Generation is the natural choice for high-quality and effective products free of fragrances, latex, chlorine and other harmful chemicals. Make a difference by choosing Seventh Generation, now offering free shipping for orders over $50.
We recently had the opportunity to try Seventh Generation Free & Clear Diapers, and once we got used to the fact that they’re unbleached and therefore not bright white, we really liked these diapers and the peace of mind of having hypoallergenic diapers that were free from potentially harmful chemicals.
As the Lorax says, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not.”
How do you live like the Lorax? One lucky Life Your Way reader will win a Green Your Home prize pack from Seventh Generation.
To enter, tell me how you inspire your kids to live green!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Seventh Generation. The opinions and text are all mine. Official Sweepstakes Rules.