Yesterday was our last day at our Classical Conversations campus for the year, and the girls were wired from the moment they woke up until we got home mid-afternoon! With a new baby coming in the fall, our family has decided to take next year off from CC, and I’ll share more about what that means for our curriculum plans in a post soon.
We’re also in the middle of the most gorgeous weather here in West Virginia (you won’t find me complaining about it being too hot!), and I’m anxiously waiting for the red buds that line the highway to bloom!
Our weekly newsletter is currently on hold as I muddle through the first trimester, but be sure to subscribe so you don’t miss future issues!
I’m kinda want to stir things up this week, so today’s links are a little bit different than usual. As always, check out what I’m reading to see the other posts that make me stop and think. You’ll find new posts all week long!
On Kids & Violence
I’m having trouble understanding a society that suspends tiny children for biting their toast into the shape of a gun yet defends gruesome video games like Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto. And I’m appalled that “we” are raising a generation that bullies the victims of violent sex crimes while making excuses for those who commit them. There is something very wrong with both scenarios.
- On School Shooters | Peter Brown Hoffmeister
- This Is About Violence | Resourceful Mommy
- Who Failed Rehtaeh Parsons? | Herald News
On Child Sex Slavery
Child sex slavery isn’t just a global issue; children and teens in our country are being exploited and sold every day. As the mother of four girls, this is an epidemic that I just can’t ignore.
- A Red “X” Won’t End Slavery | Love146.org
- Child Sex Trafficking – As Easy in Seattle as Ordering a Pizza | MyNorthwest.com
- Sex Trafficking from a Survivor’s Perspective | Urbana Daily Citizen
On Horrors We Ignore
There are just no words for the horrors outlined in these columns. Wherever you fall on the issue of abortion, this story is appalling and cannot just be swept under the rug.
- Philadelphia Abortion Clinic Horror | USAToday Column
- The Monstrous Abortion Trial the Media Don’t Want You to Know About | Fox News Opinion
On Tragedy & Mental Illness
Mental illness and suicide always raise a lot of questions and discussion, especially in Christian circles, and I appreciated the perspective offered in both Kristen and Ann’s posts, as well as the advice from an unrelated L.A. Times article!
- How Not to Say the Wrong Thing | Los Angeles Times
- Rick Warren’s Grief: The Comfort and Cruelty of Speculating on Suicide | Rage Against the Minivan
- What Christians Need to Know About Mental Health | A Holy Experience
Have a great weekend!